Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An Ordinary Day

May 12, 2010

Woke up at 6:30 a.m. because that's when Caroline woke up. Discovered there was no hot cereal for breakfast, so on to plan B. Had two eggs, enough to make pancakes. Cleaned up the kitchen and started the kitchen rugs in the washer. Taught Laura the three ways to make the "e" sound and why it's not a good idea to use people's feet to measure things. Did reading with Emma and taught her that odd+odd=even, even+even=odd, and odd+even=odd. Taught Katharine and Rebecca more about the Pythagorean formula. Made sure everyone had showers before lunchtime. Made turkey and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Laid down with Caroline for a nap at 12:10 p.m. Fell asleep and napped until about 3:00 p.m. Got up and checked e-mail and other things on the computer. Did language arts lessons with Katharine and Rebecca. Ate spaghetti and green beans at 5:30 p.m. for dinner. Laura cleared the table, Emma and Rebecca washed dishes, Katharine put them away. Dumped a bunch of pennies in the dish pan as an unexpected reward for helping. Worked upstairs in the empty bedroom, sorting through clothes until 9:00 p.m. Nursed Caroline to sleep and then went to bed myself.

On a day like this, I tend to think that I didn't get anything done. After all, no big project was begun or finished. It's just an ordinary day, like so many of the days of my life. Dishes, lessons, meals, etc., etc., etc. What is so amazing and life-changing and special about what I do? This "being a Mom."

Last Friday evening I heard a woman sing a song called "Sacred" by the group Caedmon's Call. It puts all of my "ordinary days" into perspective.

This house is a good mess it's the proof of life
No way would I trade jobs but I don't pay overtime
I'll get to the laundry I don't know when
I'm saying a prayer tonight cause tomorrow it starts again

Could it be that everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I've dreamed of has been right before my eyes

The children are sleeping but they're running through my mind
The sun makes them happy and the music makes them unwind
My cup runneth over, I worry about the stain
Teach me to run to you like they run to me for everything

Cause everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I've dreamed of has been right before my eyes

When I forget to drink from you I can feel the banks harden
Lord make me like a stream to feed the garden

Wake up little sleeper
The Lord God Almighty
Made your mama keeper
So rise and shine, rise and shine, rise and shine

Cause everything is sacred
And all this time
Everything I've dreamed of has been right before my eyes.


It is in the little, mundane, everyday, ordinary things that I worship God. This taking care of my children, husband and house are my "spiritual act of worship." To God, my ordinary days are sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment