Sunday, November 21, 2010

Overwhelmed by God's provision

The Man of the Place is a hunter. Has been since he was a young boy. Probably will be until he's too old to see well enough and too feeble to hold the gun steady enough. So, when the first weekend of November comes around, I become a "deer widow" for a few days. This year was no different. He normally hunts "back home," around the area where he grew up. His nephew is now old enough to hunt and the two of them made plans to hunt together.

The five beautiful princesses and I did not go home to Grandma's with him like we usually do. Grandpa has been really sick and I had to do the "put-away-the-summer-clothes-and-take-out-the-winter-ones" job. So, all day Saturday I waited for the phone to ring with the news that he'd gotten one. When we talked Saturday evening, no such luck.

Sunday afternoon I went on Facebook and his sister had posted only moments before that there had been success. Two deer had been shot, one by her son and one by The Man of the Place. I immediately dialed his cell phone and spoke to a very happy hunter. As we spoke, he told me that his neice had also gotten one. TOTAL DEER - 3

The Man of the Place does not hunt just for fun. He hunts to put food on the table. He does all the butchering himself and I grind the meat into venison hamburger and wrap the steaks and roasts that he cuts out. I also can cubed meat and boil the bones off to make venison broth which we can and use all year for soup and stew. When I add up all that we get off one deer after paying only $27 for the license, it's almost like eating for free.

This year was even better. The Man came home with his nice 8-point buck and the two doe from his neice and nephew. He had his work cut out for him for the next two days. Then, on Tuesday morning at 6:30, the Carver County Police called saying that they had a deer for us (killed in a car/deer accident) if we wanted it. The Man went to get it and came home with not one, but two. Another one had been hit as he was picking up the first one. TOTAL DEER - 5

As you can imagine, Tuesday was a busy day. At 7:00 that night, the phone rings and it's the police again saying, "We've got another one for you if you want it." Yes, we did. TOTAL DEER - 6.

God sometimes blows me away. Not only did He give us what we needed, but two extra which we were able to give to friends who needed meat. I remember saying to The Man at 1:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning, "I'm a little overwhelmed by God's provision." :-)

Why am I always amazed and surprised when God does things like this? Doesn't He promise to supply all of our needs out of His riches in glory? Doesn't He promise to do exceedingly, abundantly above all that we ask or think? Doesn't He delight in giving good things to His children? Why am I always surprised by it? It's just God being who He says He is and doing what He said He would do. How these experiences build my faith and make me trust Him more. He does own the "deer" on a thousand hills. I guess He's just managing His herd by blessing our family and my friend's family with so many.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the good message. God blessed you. You sowed into our lives and He gave back abundantly to you! You are so amazing!
    Don't forget to edit my spelling errors.

    ReplyDelete